This personal reflection records my 2016 journey to Rockhampton for a CQUniversity Student Representative Council meeting and induction. I represented Adelaide students in a voluntary role and felt grateful for the opportunity to learn, listen and serve fairly. Later SRC records also preserve my work as Acting Lead for Biodiversity and the Council’s endorsement of CQUniversity participation in Clean Up Australia Day in 2018.
Original reflection: 2016
The beginning of that week was amazing: I travelled to Rockhampton for a meeting and induction connected with my university, CQUniversity. I had joined the Student Representative Council, commonly called the SRC, to represent students from Adelaide.
It was exciting to learn how formal university meetings and student representation worked. I was stepping into a new environment, listening to different perspectives and discovering what it meant to contribute responsibly in a representative role.
“Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass.”
Beginning my CQUniversity SRC journey
I believed God had blessed me with this opportunity, and I wanted to do the best I could with it. My hope was to represent students in a just and fair way—not simply to hold a title, but to listen carefully and bring student concerns into the conversations where they could be heard.
What student representation meant to me
For me, student representation meant listening, being approachable, working with others and representing students with fairness and respect. Those aims capture the responsibility I felt as the Adelaide representative.
- Listen: make room for students’ experiences and concerns.
- Represent: carry their voices into university discussions faithfully.
- Act fairly: consider different needs without favouritism.
- Keep learning: understand university processes so I could contribute constructively.
An opportunity becomes a form of service when I stop asking only what I can gain from it and begin asking whose voice I can help carry. Representation is not merely about being present in the room; it is about listening well enough to speak responsibly for others.
A voluntary role and a serious commitment
Although this was a voluntary role, I did not regard it casually. I knew it would be a wonderful learning journey, but also a serious commitment. I was appointed to serve for a one-year term. At the time, I wondered whether—God willing—I might serve another term, but I was content to take the journey one season at a time.
From student representation to practical sustainability work
Later records show how my involvement developed into practical service. By late 2017 I was listed as the Acting Lead for the Biodiversity element group. One of my agenda items was to promote Clean Up Australia through the SRC and encourage CQUniversity participation.
CQUniversity’s older news pages and image addresses have since changed, so some of the hyperlinks in my original post no longer work. These surviving document images now preserve part of the story directly within this personal record.
The next record shows the proposal moving from an agenda item to a formal decision. It states that the SRC unanimously agreed to support Clean Up Australia Day across participating CQUniversity campuses in 2018. It also records that I could provide interested members with information about how to become involved.
Looking back, these documents help me see the connection between representation and action. The role was not only about attending meetings. It also created an opportunity to raise an idea, invite participation and help move a sustainability initiative toward formal support.
Grateful for the practical support
CQUniversity provided my flights, accommodation and meals for the Rockhampton meeting. I felt deeply grateful and appreciative because that practical support made it possible for me to participate fully in the induction and meet the other representatives.
I wanted to remember both the privilege and the responsibility. The trip was enjoyable, but its deeper importance was the chance to learn how to advocate for students, contribute to formal discussions and grow in confidence through service.
A personal memory from that season
During that season, a CQUniversity student profile also recalled my earlier chance encounter with actress Mila Kunis. Although the historic profile link is no longer available at its former address, I have retained the photograph below. It was never meant to be a polished portrait; it is a treasured personal record of a memorable moment. I am glad I kept it, because imperfect photographs can still preserve wonderful stories.
Looking back on the opportunity
This journey reminded me that meaningful opportunities often bring together joy, learning and responsibility. I could enjoy the travel and new experiences while also recognising that other students were trusting their representative to listen, prepare and contribute with integrity.
My reflection
I am thankful that I was given the opportunity to represent Adelaide students and learn more about university leadership. I wanted to be fair, approachable and useful—to keep growing while remembering that representation is ultimately about serving people.
Prayer
Lord, thank You for opening this door and providing what I needed to take part. Give me wisdom to listen, humility to keep learning and courage to represent others truthfully and fairly. Help me use every opportunity as a way to serve, and guide each step according to Your will. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why did I travel to Rockhampton?
I travelled there for a CQUniversity Student Representative Council meeting and induction connected with my role representing Adelaide students.
Was the SRC position paid?
No. I recorded it as a voluntary one-year role. CQUniversity provided the flights, accommodation and meals required for me to attend the Rockhampton meeting.
What did I hope to contribute?
I hoped to listen carefully, represent students fairly, understand university processes and contribute constructively to discussions about the student experience.
What do the later SRC records show?
They identify me as Acting Lead for Biodiversity, record my promotion of Clean Up Australia through the SRC and preserve the Council’s unanimous endorsement of the 2018 campaign at participating CQUniversity campuses.
Why were the old CQUniversity links removed?
The university’s historic web addresses changed and the original links stopped working. I replaced those unreliable references with surviving documentary images from my personal archive.
Records and Scripture
- Personal archive: SRC agenda and sustainability-update excerpts identifying Anna Towan as Acting Lead for Biodiversity.
- Personal archive: meeting record and resolution endorsing Clean Up Australia Day across participating CQUniversity campuses in 2018.
- Psalm 37:5 (NKJV).
Topics Covered: CQUniversity, Student Representative Council, Adelaide student representative, Rockhampton, student advocacy, Biodiversity Acting Lead, Clean Up Australia Day, sustainability, university leadership, volunteering, gratitude, faith, personal memories
No comments:
Post a Comment