This devotional reflection on Matthew 7:1–5 explores Jesus’ warning against hypocritical judgment. It asks how I can examine my own heart, refuse gossip, verify what I hear and respond to genuine concerns with truth, humility, mercy and love.
Original reflection: Saturday, 23 April 2016
Some Scriptures comfort us immediately; others stop us and ask us to look closely at our own hearts. Jesus’ words about judgment are sobering because the standard I use for another person exposes the standard I am willing to place upon myself.
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.”
Why is this Scripture so sobering?
It is easy to judge another person by the action I can see while judging myself by the intention hidden inside me. I may know all the pressure, fear, history and reasoning behind my own choices, yet reduce somebody else to one moment, one weakness or one story told about them.
Jesus continued with the picture of a person noticing a speck in another’s eye while overlooking the plank in their own. His order matters: first examine myself; then I may be able to see clearly enough to help rather than condemn (Matthew 7:3–5, NKJV).
Before I examine the speck in another person’s life, Jesus asks me to stand beneath the same searching light. Mercy does not hide truth; it changes the position from which I speak it. I approach another person not as someone above them, but as someone who also needs God’s grace.
Does “judge not” mean never using discernment?
No. In the same chapter, Jesus speaks about recognising fruit, and elsewhere He says, “Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment” (John 7:24, NKJV). The warning is not a command to call evil good, abandon wisdom or ignore harm. It confronts judgment that is hypocritical, fleshly, hasty, self-exalting or condemning.
| Harmful judgment | Christlike discernment |
|---|---|
| Assumes motives from appearances | Admits what I do not know and seeks truth |
| Repeats a negative story before checking it | Verifies facts and refuses unnecessary gossip |
| Labels a person by one action or weakness | Addresses conduct without reducing someone’s whole identity to it |
| Corrects from pride or irritation | Examines my own heart and seeks restoration with gentleness |
| Acts as though I hold the final verdict | Leaves final judgment to God while responding responsibly to what is true |
Jesus did not judge according to human standards
In my original observation, I wrote that Jesus “didn’t judge unless He had to.” I would now express that more carefully. Jesus did confront sin, hypocrisy and injustice. Yet He did not judge according to the flesh or rely upon the shallow standards people use. He said:
“You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. And yet if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone, but I am with the Father who sent Me.”
Jesus’ words do not describe indifference to right and wrong. They reveal the difference between human judgment based on outward appearances and His true judgment in perfect unity with the Father.
Questions I need to ask myself
- Do I judge another person by their action while judging myself by my intention?
- When somebody chooses a different method or moves at a different pace, am I quick to call them lazy, careless or worthless?
- Do I confuse personal preference with a moral standard everyone must follow?
- When I hear something negative, do I repeat it before checking whether it is true, necessary and mine to share?
- If I have a genuine concern, is my aim to restore and protect—or to prove myself right?
The Benjamin Franklin quotation recorded in my original notes described a resolve not to speak ill of others, even when a criticism contained truth, and to speak the good he knew when a suitable opportunity arose. The principle is worth considering: a statement can be factually true and still be unnecessary, unloving or not ours to repeat.
When a concern is genuine
Love does not require silence about wrongdoing. If somebody is moving in a harmful direction, correction should be truthful, proportionate and motivated by their good rather than my pride. Paul tells spiritually mature believers to restore a person “in a spirit of gentleness,” while also watching themselves (Galatians 6:1, NKJV).
Where possible, consistent love and care create the trust needed for a difficult conversation. Where there is abuse, danger, exploitation or another serious risk, however, seeking help, setting boundaries or reporting harm can be the responsible and loving action. Refusing condemnation does not mean refusing accountability.
My observation and application
Observation: Jesus did not judge according to human appearances. He challenged the hypocrisy of religious leaders, but when He exercised judgment, it was true and aligned with the Father.
Application: I do not want to judge people by stories told about them or repeat claims I have not verified. God alone knows every heart and holds the final judgment. My responsibility is to examine myself, speak truth with mercy and concentrate on being a useful vessel for Jesus.
A personal note from 2016
While I was cleaning the kitchen that day, I sensed—though I wanted to remain humble and careful about it—that the Holy Spirit may have reminded me of the dispute about washing hands. Later, I encountered the same subject in that day’s devotional reading.
More precisely, the Gospel account says that Pharisees and scribes questioned why Jesus’ disciples ate with unwashed hands (Mark 7:1–8, NKJV). I prayed that I would understand and receive whatever God wanted to teach me. Looking back, the message still invites me to test my motives, resist fault-finding and leave room for grace.
Questions for personal reflection
- Is there somebody I have reduced to a label, mistake or story?
- What “plank” in my own attitude may need attention before I address another person?
- Have I repeated something negative without verifying whether it was true or necessary?
- How can I combine truth and accountability with gentleness and mercy?
- What would it look like to pray for this person before speaking about them?
Prayer
Lord, please forgive my sins, known and unknown. Search my heart and free me from hypocrisy, gossip, hasty labels and the desire to condemn. Teach me to see people with truth and mercy, to extend grace and to love as You love. When a concern genuinely needs to be addressed, give me wisdom, courage and gentleness. Let my natural impulses be governed by the Holy Spirit, and make me a useful vessel for Jesus. In His name, Amen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Matthew 7 mean Christians must never distinguish right from wrong?
No. Jesus warns against hypocritical and condemning judgment, then tells the listener first to remove the plank from their own eye so they can see clearly. Christian discernment should be truthful, humble and consistent.
What should I do before correcting somebody?
Examine your own motives, verify the facts, pray, consider whether the matter is yours to address and choose a gentle, proportionate response aimed at restoration. Serious harm may also require appropriate outside help or reporting.
Is refusing gossip the same as covering up wrongdoing?
No. Gossip spreads negative information without a responsible purpose. Reporting a genuine concern to someone able to help, protect or investigate can be necessary. The difference includes motive, audience, accuracy and purpose.
Source and Scripture links
- This 2016 reflection was prompted by A Sobering Scripture from The Word for Today. The devotional has been summarised and credited rather than reproduced at length.
- Key Bible passages in the New King James Version.
Topics Covered: Matthew 7:1–5, judging others, hypocritical judgment, Christian discernment, gossip, correction with gentleness, mercy, grace, personal reflection, prayer
No comments:
Post a Comment