This personal reflection considers Jesus’ command to love our enemies, pray for those who hurt us and refuse personal revenge. It also explains why Christlike love can include truthful confrontation, wise boundaries, reporting wrongdoing and moving to safety.
This meditation began after I read Respond in a Christlike Way from The Word for Today. The devotional drew from Matthew 5:38–48 and challenged readers to answer mistreatment according to the teaching of Jesus rather than the desire for revenge. What follows is my expanded personal reflection on that lesson.
“But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.”
The Command That Exposed My Heart
My first response in 2016 was very honest: it is so hard to respond in a Christlike way. How do I love someone who has hurt me? How can I pray for an enemy when everything in me wants to defend myself, answer back or create distance?
Jesus’ teaching in the Sermon on the Mount confronts the instinct to repay injury with injury. He speaks of turning the other cheek, going the second mile, giving generously and loving enemies. The common thread is not weakness or pretending that evil is good. It is the refusal to let another person’s wrongdoing decide the condition of my heart or turn me into someone who returns the same evil.
How can I turn the other cheek, go the extra mile and love my enemies when I feel hurt? Lord, help me in those moments. Teach me to reflect Your character instead of reacting from anger, fear or revenge.
What Does “Turn the Other Cheek” Mean?
Jesus was teaching His followers not to take personal revenge. When insulted, humiliated or wronged, a disciple does not have to copy the offender’s conduct. We can interrupt the cycle of retaliation and entrust final justice to God.
This does not mean that harm should be ignored. Jesus Himself calmly named wrongdoing when an officer struck Him: “If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil; but if well, why do you strike Me?” (John 18:22–23, NKJV). He did not retaliate, but neither did He call the blow acceptable.
| Christlike love can include | Christlike love does not require |
|---|---|
| Praying for the person and refusing revenge | Pretending that harmful behaviour is harmless |
| Speaking truth calmly and honestly | Remaining silent about abuse, threats or crime |
| Showing kindness when it is safe and wise | Forced friendship, emotional closeness or unrestricted access |
| Forgiving and surrendering personal vengeance to God | Immediate trust or freedom from appropriate consequences |
| Seeking peace as far as it depends on us | Taking responsibility for another person’s refusal to live peacefully |
| Moving away, seeking help or reporting wrongdoing | Staying in danger to prove that our faith is genuine |
Loving an Enemy Is Not the Same as Trusting an Enemy
In my first reflection, I described loving enemies as “being friendly with them.” Kindness and courtesy may certainly express love. Yet Jesus’ command goes deeper than friendliness, and it does not mean that every relationship must become close.
Biblical love seeks another person’s true good. Sometimes that may look like generosity, patience or a gentle answer. At other times, love may require a truthful boundary, a firm “no,” distance from continuing harm or allowing legitimate authorities to address wrongdoing. Trust is relational and can be damaged. Reconciliation normally requires truth, repentance and a willingness from both people to pursue peace.
Paul expresses the balance carefully: “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men” (Romans 12:18, NKJV). I am responsible for my response, but I cannot force another person to become safe, truthful or peaceful.
Jesus’ words must never be used to pressure a person to endure violence or abuse. Moving to safety, telling a trusted person, contacting a support service, preserving evidence or reporting a crime can be wise and loving actions. Jesus told His disciples that when persecution arose in one city, they could flee to another (Matthew 10:23).
In Australia, anyone in immediate danger should call 000. The national 1800RESPECT safety-planning service is available 24 hours a day by calling 1800 737 732 or texting 0458 737 732.
How Can I Respond in a Christlike Way?
- Pause before reacting. Anger may signal that something is wrong, but it does not need to choose my words or actions.
- Pray honestly. I can tell God about the hurt and ask Him to guard me from hatred, vengeance and bitterness.
- Name wrong as wrong. Love does not depend on denial. I can speak truth without humiliating or threatening the other person.
- Refuse to repay evil with evil. I do not have to insult because I was insulted, deceive because I was deceived or injure because I was injured.
- Choose the wise form of love. Depending on the situation, this may be prayer, practical kindness, silence, a difficult conversation, a boundary, distance or seeking help.
- Protect life and safety. If there is violence, abuse, stalking or a threat, I can move to safety and involve trusted people, professionals or authorities.
- Entrust justice to God. Refusing personal revenge does not erase justice; it means I do not appoint myself as the one who must repay harm with harm.
“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
What Does It Mean to Be Perfect?
Jesus closes this part of the sermon with the words, “Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:48, NKJV).
In this context, Jesus points to the Father’s complete and impartial love: God sends sunlight and rain upon both the just and the unjust. This does not mean that one loving response makes me sinlessly perfect or earns my place as God’s child. It calls me toward spiritual maturity—a love that is not reserved only for people who love me first.
I cannot produce that kind of love merely by forcing myself to feel friendly. I need the Holy Spirit to form love, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control in me (Galatians 5:22–23).
Turning the other cheek does not mean offering evil another opportunity to wound us. It means refusing to let evil reproduce itself through us. Christlike love can pray, speak truth, establish boundaries, seek safety and pursue justice without becoming revengeful. The victory is not pretending that nothing happened; it is refusing to be overcome by what happened.
Questions for Personal Reflection
- When I am hurt, do I seek a wise response or an opportunity to make the other person hurt too?
- Is there someone I need to pray for even though trust cannot presently be restored?
- Have I confused forgiveness with allowing unrestricted access to my life?
- Can I name wrongdoing truthfully without hatred or humiliation?
- Is there a situation in which I need support, a safety plan or a stronger boundary?
- What would overcoming evil with good look like in this particular situation?
Lord Jesus, help me when I am mistreated. Keep me from returning evil for evil, and teach me to love and pray as You commanded. Give me wisdom to know when to speak, when to remain silent, when to show kindness and when to step away. Help me establish boundaries without hatred, seek safety without shame and trust You with justice. Form Your love, courage and self-control in me so that evil does not overcome my heart. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does “turn the other cheek” mean a Christian must stay in an abusive situation?
No. Jesus forbids personal retaliation; He does not command a person to remain available for repeated violence or abuse. Seeking safety, support and lawful protection is not the same as taking revenge.
Must I be friends with someone in order to love them?
No. We can pray for a person, refuse vengeance and desire repentance and good for them without maintaining a close friendship. Love and wise distance can exist together.
Does forgiveness automatically restore trust?
No. Forgiveness releases personal vengeance, but trust concerns whether a relationship is safe and truthful. Damaged trust may require repentance, changed behaviour, accountability and time before it can be rebuilt.
Can Christians report wrongdoing?
Yes. Calmly reporting abuse, threats or crime to appropriate authorities can protect both the person harmed and others. Justice pursued through proper channels is different from personal retaliation.
References and Further Reading
- The Word for Today, “Respond in a Christlike Way,” 12 May 2016
- Matthew 5:38–48 — Go the second mile and love your enemies (NKJV)
- Romans 12:17–21 — Repay no one evil for evil (NKJV)
- John 18:22–23 — Jesus names the wrongdoing without retaliating (NKJV)
- Matthew 10:23 — Fleeing persecution (NKJV)
- 1800RESPECT — Safety planning and support
No comments:
Post a Comment