Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A Dream of the NOTORIOUS University Program: Discernment, Family and Preparation

Article Summary

In this personal dream record, I was at my university exploring an advanced computer program called “NOTORIOUS.” A formally dressed council member praised my talent but could not explain what he saw in me. After leaving, I passed a busy post office, met my Pop, Richard Tofinga, and was asked whether I was going to buy the uniform. This post preserves the dream and considers possible themes of discernment, reputation, communication, family and preparation without claiming one certain interpretation.

A personal dream record—not an allegation

The people, institution and computer program described below appeared within a dream. This record does not claim that a real university has a program named NOTORIOUS or that any university, council member or computer system is involved in hidden wrongdoing. The reflections that follow are possibilities, not predictions or statements of fact.

The word NOTORIOUS representing the university computer program seen in the dream
The image I originally used to represent the word “NOTORIOUS” in this dream record.

The Dream as I Remember It

This is the part of the dream I can recall.

I was at what felt like the university where I was studying at the time.

I was in an office or some kind of room, looking at the university’s new computer program called NOTORIOUS. It had a bluish icon that I clicked to enter, and the program seemed like technology from out of this world.

I saw one of the council members. He had a slim build and wore formal black attire. He commended me and said that I was very talented.

I looked at him with the sense that he was trying to suck up to me, so I asked him what talents he saw in me. I waited for an answer and, as I expected, he did not know what to say.

I knew that his words were only for show, so I went out through the front door.

As I made my way past the post office toward my right, I saw many people lining up to post things. Then I saw my Pop, Richard Tofinga, standing in the middle of the line.

I waved to him happily. He saw me and asked whether I was going to buy the uniform.

That is where the dream ended, and I woke up.

My First Thoughts After Waking

My immediate thought was that perhaps I was supposed to buy Isabella her new winter uniform. I was less certain about the meaning of the NOTORIOUS program at the university.

I wondered whether the name might carry a negative meaning—perhaps suggesting that something notorious had been hidden within a university program. I also wondered whether it could mean that the university would become well known because of an unusual computer program.

Those were my original questions, not conclusions. In ordinary English, notorious usually describes someone or something widely known for a bad reason. That negative association explains why the name stood out to me, but a word appearing in a dream is not evidence of misconduct in waking life.

Testing the Dream With Humility

Scripture encourages discernment rather than an immediate acceptance or rejection of every spiritual impression. The wise response is to retain what was actually seen, pray for understanding, compare possible interpretations with Scripture and avoid making claims that the dream itself cannot establish.

“Test all things; hold fast what is good.”

Testing this dream means distinguishing the details I remember from the explanations I considered afterward. It also means allowing an ordinary practical meaning—such as remembering Isabella’s winter uniform—to remain possible alongside deeper symbolic reflections.

Possible Meanings Within the Dream

The following interpretations are possibilities rather than a fixed decoding system. Dream symbols are personal and contextual; colours, people and places do not carry one universal meaning.

Dream detail Possible reflection What should remain open
The university setting A season of learning, development, testing or preparation for future responsibility. The setting does not prove that the dream concerns a real event at the university.
The advanced program called NOTORIOUS Questions about reputation, powerful systems, unexpected knowledge or something impressive that still requires examination. The name may have been symbolic, a memorable word or part of ordinary dream imagery. It does not reveal a real hidden program.
The bluish icon Blue may personally suggest communication, thought, calmness or authority, especially because the icon opened access to information. Scripture does not assign one universal meaning to a blue computer icon.
The formally dressed council member Institutional recognition, status or the appearance of authority. Formal black clothing is ordinary attire and should not automatically be interpreted as evil.
Praise without an explanation A lesson in distinguishing sincere recognition from empty flattery. Instead of accepting impressive words, I asked for substance. The dream figure does not establish the motives of any real council member.
The busy post office Messages, communication, things being sent, or people waiting for something to be received. It does not necessarily predict a literal letter, parcel or announcement.
My Pop, Richard Tofinga Family connection, affection, familiarity or a personally meaningful voice appearing amid a busy public setting. Only my relationship and memories can supply the personal significance of seeing Pop.
The question about buying the uniform A practical reminder about Isabella’s winter uniform, or a broader image of preparation, identity, belonging and readiness for a new season. The immediate practical meaning may be sufficient; a more symbolic meaning should not be forced.

Discernment Between Praise and Flattery

One of the clearest moments in the dream was not the technology but my response to praise. The council figure called me talented, yet when I asked which talents he recognised, he could not answer. The compliment sounded valuable until it was tested.

Proverbs 29:5 warns about the danger of flattery. This does not mean every compliment should be distrusted. Sincere encouragement can name what it has observed, whereas flattery often seeks influence without offering truth. The dream may reflect a desire to be known honestly rather than praised vaguely.

✨ Deep Treasure

The dream moves from impressive technology and polished praise toward a much simpler family question: “Are you going to buy the uniform?” Perhaps the contrast matters. What looks important is not always substantial, while a quiet practical responsibility may carry the clearest instruction. Discernment asks for truth beneath appearances and remains attentive to the ordinary duty already in front of me.

Three Themes I Can Carry Forward

  • Test recognition: appreciate encouragement, but value truthful and specific words above empty praise.
  • Pay attention to communication: the program and post office both involve information being accessed, sent or received.
  • Do the practical thing: before searching for a dramatic hidden meaning, consider whether the dream has brought an ordinary responsibility back to mind.

Questions for Reflection

  • Why did the program seem so advanced, and what feeling did it produce—wonder, concern, curiosity or caution?
  • Why was I unwilling to accept praise that the speaker could not explain?
  • What personal memories or qualities do I associate with my Pop, Richard Tofinga?
  • Was the uniform simply a practical reminder, or did it also suggest preparation and belonging?
  • Do the program and post office share a theme of messages, knowledge or communication?
  • Does any proposed interpretation produce humility, wisdom and responsible action rather than suspicion or fear?

A Prayer for Understanding

Prayer

LORD, if it is Your will, please help me understand this dream. Give me wisdom to recognise what is useful, humility not to force a meaning and discernment to separate truth from assumption. Help me attend faithfully to any practical responsibility You have placed before me. Let it be so, in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the name NOTORIOUS reveal wrongdoing at a real university?

No. The name appeared in a dream. Its ordinary negative meaning may help explain the concern I felt, but it is not evidence about any real institution, employee or computer system.

Could the uniform have been a simple reminder?

Yes. My first association was Isabella’s new winter uniform, and that practical interpretation should not be overlooked. If the uniform also carried a symbolic meaning, preparation, identity and belonging are reasonable possibilities rather than certainties.

How can a Christian approach a personal dream?

Record it honestly, pray for wisdom, test interpretations against Scripture, consider ordinary personal concerns and avoid making accusations or predictions that the dream cannot prove. James 1:5 encourages believers to ask God for wisdom.

References

Topics Covered: NOTORIOUS university program dream, personal dream record, Christian dream discernment, university technology, reputation and notoriety, praise and flattery, Proverbs 29:5, post office symbolism, Richard Tofinga, family memories, Isabella’s winter uniform, preparation, identity, communication and 1 Thessalonians 5:21.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors