Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Basking in the Sun results in Bright Blooms: Staying Connected to the Son

Article Summary

This Christian garden devotional reflects on a Federation Daisy in my Adelaide garden and the difference sunlight appeared to make to its blooms. The experience became a personal reminder to remain close to God through Jesus Christ, to welcome the Holy Spirit’s guidance and to let God’s light shape the way I grow and shine.

God can use the simplest moments to teach us. For me, one such lesson came through a hanging flower whose blooms seemed to change after I placed it away from direct sunlight.

A Federation Daisy from Munno Para

One day during my time in Adelaide, my hubby and I went to Bunnings at Munno Para to buy flowers for our hanging pots. We brought home a beautiful Federation Daisy: Sublime Pink, and I hung it in a sheltered place in our backyard.

Sublime Pink Federation Daisy growing in a hanging pot in Anna Towan's Adelaide garden
Federation Daisy: Sublime Pink, photographed by Anna Towan in her Adelaide garden, South Australia. © Anna Towan. All rights reserved.

As I admired the plant over the next few days, I noticed that some of its new blooms looked lighter than the flowers that were already open when we bought it. At first, I did not know what to think. Then I began wondering whether the sheltered position was limiting the sunlight it received.

A small garden note

The Australian breeder’s information for Argyranthemum frutescens ‘Sublime Pink’ describes it as a full-sun plant with musk-pink flowers. That supports the importance of giving this variety plenty of light. However, sunlight may not have been the only reason I saw a difference: bloom age, weather, watering and other growing conditions can also affect how flower colour appears.

Plant information: Ramm Botanicals — Sublime Pink Federation Daisy.

What the Paler Blooms Made Me See

Whether sunlight was the only cause or one part of the difference, the contrast gave me a spiritual picture I could not ignore: the flowers were still blooming, but they did not appear as vivid as the blooms I first admired.

In that moment, I sensed the Holy Spirit impressing a personal lesson upon me. Just as this flower was created to flourish in the sun, I need daily connection with the Son—Jesus Christ. I need God’s Word, prayer, truth, obedience and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit so His life can keep shaping mine.

The connection between sun and Son is an English wordplay and a devotional illustration, not the direct meaning of the biblical words. Yet Scripture itself gives the illustration its foundation by repeatedly revealing God and Christ through the language of light.

How Does This Apply to My Connection with God?

“This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.”

In its surrounding context, 1 John connects walking in the light with fellowship, truth, confession and the cleansing work of Jesus Christ. God’s light is not merely a cheerful feeling. It reveals what is true and calls us into honest relationship with Him.

“I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

Jesus does not merely point toward light; He calls Himself the Light of the world. My brightest spiritual growth does not come from trying to manufacture a glow of my own. It comes from following Christ and allowing His truth, grace and love to be visible through my life.

✨ Deep Treasure

A flower does not create the sunlight it needs; it turns toward the light and receives it. In the same way, I do not create the light of Christ. I remain near Him, receive His truth and allow His life to transform the way I think, love, serve and respond.

Letting His Light Become Visible

Staying connected to God is not a performance for earning His love. It is a living relationship that may include:

  • reading Scripture and allowing it to correct as well as comfort me;
  • speaking honestly with God in prayer;
  • responding when the Holy Spirit brings conviction or direction;
  • obeying what God has already made clear;
  • remaining in healthy fellowship with other believers; and
  • letting love and good works point beyond me to my Father in heaven, as Jesus teaches in Matthew 5:14–16.

A Gentle Word for Shaded Seasons

Not every shaded season is caused by spiritual neglect. Grief, illness, exhaustion, waiting and circumstances outside our control can make life feel dim. Those experiences do not prove that God has left us or that our faith has failed.

Even then, we can turn honestly toward Him. Sometimes shining looks less like visible brightness and more like quiet trust, receiving help, enduring one day at a time or holding onto a small promise from Scripture.

My Personal Lesson

Keep my connection with God and heaven so that His light can colour the way I live. I want to remain close to Jesus Christ, listen to the Holy Spirit and allow my life to shine in a way that glorifies God rather than drawing attention only to myself.

A Prayer to Remain in God’s Light

Father, thank You for using ordinary moments in creation to draw my attention back to You. Jesus, You are the Light of the world; help me follow You and remain close to You. Holy Spirit, guide me into truth, reveal what needs to change and grow Your fruit in my life. In bright seasons and shaded ones, teach me to trust You and to reflect Your love. Amen.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Bible directly teach a sun/Son word connection?

No. The matching sound of sun and Son is an English devotional wordplay. The biblical foundation is the direct teaching that God is light and that Jesus is the Light of the world.

Did shelter definitely cause the paler flowers?

I cannot know from this observation alone. Sublime Pink is a full-sun variety, so light matters, but flower age, weather, watering and other growing conditions may also influence the colour we see.

How can a Christian remain connected to God?

Through trust in Jesus Christ, prayer, Scripture, obedience, honest repentance, fellowship and reliance on the Holy Spirit. These practices do not purchase God’s love; they help us live responsively within the relationship He gives us by grace.

Topics Covered: God is light, Jesus the Light of the world, Holy Spirit, Christian growth, abiding in Christ, Federation Daisy, Sublime Pink, Adelaide garden devotional, sun and Son illustration, letting your light shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors