A clock that was nearly two hours fast became a personal lesson about God’s timing. This devotional explores why correction, waiting, grief and unexpected change can feel like moving backwards—and how trust, perseverance and hope help us recognise that redirection is not the same as defeat.
One day, while I was having a yarn with my husband, I glanced at one of my clocks and noticed that it was nearly two hours ahead of the correct time. I went over and adjusted it.
As I looked at that clock, I felt the Holy Spirit using an ordinary moment to teach me something personal. Sometimes we can move ahead of God’s timing, make plans without first seeking Him, or mistake speed for progress. When God redirects us, it may feel as though we are being moved backwards. Yet the clock was not being ruined when I turned its hands back—it was being returned to the right time.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.”
When God’s Redirection Feels Like Reversal
We often measure progress by visible movement: a new opportunity, a completed plan, a growing ministry, an answered prayer or a door opening. Because of this, any interruption can feel like failure. We may ask, Why am I back here again? Why has this taken so long? Why does it seem that everyone else is moving ahead?
But movement is not always progress, and delay is not always defeat. Sometimes wisdom requires us to pause, revisit a decision, repair something, learn what we missed or wait until the right time. A step that looks backwards on a timeline may actually return us to truth, safety or obedience.
Correction is not the opposite of progress when it returns us to what is true. The clock’s hands moved backwards, but the clock itself became more accurate. In the same way, God’s loving redirection may change our pace or plans while still leading us forward in wisdom, character and trust.
When Life Changes Without Our Permission
As I reflected on the clock, I wondered about the experiences that can make people feel as though life is moving backwards: losing a job, going through illness, grieving someone we love, facing financial strain, returning to study, starting again, or moving somewhere we never expected to live.
These experiences do not all have the same cause. Not every hardship is God correcting us for moving too far ahead, and suffering should never be used as quick evidence that someone has disobeyed God. Some hardships arise from living in a broken world; some from the choices of other people; some from our own choices; and some remain mysteries we cannot neatly explain.
A person who is grieving, unwell or rebuilding may need lament, practical help, medical care, wise counsel and patient companionship—not an accusation that they lacked faith. We can ask what God may form within a season without claiming that He caused every painful part of it.
Psalm 40:1–3 gives language for waiting and crying out. David does not pretend the pit is pleasant. He waits for the Lord, is heard, has his feet set upon a rock and receives a new song. The passage holds distress and hope together.
“Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the Lord upholds him with His hand.”
Trials Can Produce Perseverance—Without Denying Pain
The original verses that came to my mind were James 1:2–4 and Romans 5:3–5. Both passages teach that trials can produce perseverance and mature character. Romans continues all the way to hope—a hope grounded in God’s love poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit.
These verses do not command us to enjoy pain for its own sake or to silence grief. James speaks of what the testing of faith can produce when perseverance is allowed to do its work. Romans describes a process: tribulation produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. Formation takes time.
James 1:2–4
Trials of different kinds can test faith and develop perseverance. Spiritual maturity is formed through endurance, not instant appearances.
Read James 1:2–4 (NKJV)Romans 5:3–5
Tribulation can lead through perseverance and character into hope. The Holy Spirit assures us that God’s love remains present within the process.
Read Romans 5:3–5 (NKJV)How Can I Respond When I Feel I Am Going Backwards?
A clock can be checked against a reliable time source. Life is more complex, so spiritual discernment is rarely as simple as turning a dial. When I feel delayed or redirected, these questions help me slow down and seek God honestly:
- Does my present direction agree with Scripture and the character of Jesus?
- Have I moved ahead through impatience, pressure, fear or the desire to control an outcome?
- Am I calling a necessary season of healing, learning or rebuilding a “failure”?
- Do I need trustworthy counsel, practical assistance, medical care or more information?
- What faithful step can I take today, even if the whole path is not yet visible?
- Can I allow God to change my pace without believing He has abandoned my purpose?
Philippians 3:12–14 speaks about pressing toward the goal. Pressing forward does not mean pretending the past never happened. It means refusing to let the past become the final definition of what God can still do.
This is not a prayer to make casually, because surrender can involve change, correction and growth. Yet we do not have to wait until we feel fearless before praying. We can be completely honest: “Lord, I want to become more like Jesus, but I am afraid of what change may require. Please lead me gently, give me courage and help me trust You one step at a time.”
Original Reflection Video
A Prayer for God’s Timing
Father, when life feels as though it is moving backwards, help me not to measure Your faithfulness only by speed or visible success. Show me when I need correction, when I need patience, when I need help and when I simply need to rest in Your presence. Comfort me in losses I cannot explain. Form perseverance and hope within me without hardening my heart to pain. Direct my path, steady my steps and teach me to trust Your timing one day at a time. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does feeling behind mean I have missed God’s will?
No. A delay, setback or changed plan does not automatically mean you have failed God. Seek Him honestly, examine what can be learned or repaired, and remember that faithfulness cannot be measured only by a timetable.
Does God cause every hardship to train or correct us?
Scripture shows that God can form perseverance and character through trials, but it does not require us to call every tragedy a direct punishment or lesson sent by Him. Some causes are clear, while others remain mysterious. Compassion and humility are essential.
How can I recognise God’s redirection?
Test the direction against Scripture, the character of Jesus, prayer, wise counsel, truth and the fruit it produces. Avoid treating one feeling, coincidence or closed door as unquestionable proof by itself.
Can I ask God to change me even if I am afraid?
Yes. Honest fear does not disqualify you from prayer. Tell God the truth about your hesitation and ask for grace, courage and the next faithful step rather than pretending to feel ready.
Topics Covered: feeling behind in life, God’s timing, spiritual redirection, Proverbs 3:5–6, Psalm 40, James 1, Romans 5, perseverance through trials, grief and hardship, Christian discernment, prayer and hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment