I AM in the Bible: “I Am the LORD” and Divine Self-Descriptions
I counted, tabulated and graphed selected “I AM” phrases to explore where they appear, how they cluster across the books of the Bible and what patterns emerged within my original dataset.
Article Summary
This study contains two connected datasets. The first records 158 appearances of “I am the LORD” across fifteen biblical books. The second groups 75 appearances across fourteen divine self-description categories, including light, life, “the LORD your God,” Alpha and Omega, and the First and the Last.
The tables and graphs preserve the counts from my original analysis. Because phrase totals can vary by Bible translation, capitalisation, wording and search method, they should be understood as a documented research dataset rather than a universal concordance total.
The Biblical Anchor
“I AM WHO I AM.”
God’s answer to Moses gives the study its central point of wonder. The words “I AM” are not merely a repeated grammatical form; within Scripture they draw attention to God’s identity, presence, authority and covenant relationship with His people.
Part One: “I Am the LORD” Across the Biblical Books
I first counted the recorded appearances of “I am the LORD” and grouped them by book. The resulting table shows a striking concentration in the Law and the Prophets.
| Biblical book | Recorded mentions |
|---|---|
| Genesis | 2 |
| Exodus | 17 |
| Leviticus | 43 |
| Numbers | 5 |
| Deuteronomy | 2 |
| Judges | 1 |
| 1 Kings | 2 |
| Psalms | 1 |
| Isaiah | 11 |
| Jeremiah | 3 |
| Ezekiel | 66 |
| Hosea | 1 |
| Joel | 2 |
| Zechariah | 1 |
| Malachi | 1 |
| Total recorded mentions | 158 |
My Observations
I am the Lord is mentioned in 15 books out of 66.
Starts with Ch 15:7 and ends in Ch 3:6
All five books of the Torah are included
Judges and two of King David’s books are mentioned
Four minor prophets mention ‘I AM THE LORD’
Three major prophets mention ‘I AM THE LORD’
Part Two: “I AM” and Divine Self-Descriptions
My second table groups selected phrases that I associated with divine self-revelation. Some are direct “I am” statements; others are linked titles or descriptions within the wider study. Together, the fourteen categories contain 75 recorded entries.
| Phrase or description | Recorded mentions |
|---|---|
| Light | 3 |
| Life | 5 |
| The Way, the Truth and the Life | 1 |
| “That I AM” | 1 |
| The Son of God | 2 |
| The Bread | 2 |
| The LORD Your God | 33 |
| God | 9 |
| Almighty God | 3 |
| God, and There Is None Like Me | 1 |
| Alpha and Omega | 4 |
| Holy | 4 |
| Water of Life | 1 |
| First and Last | 6 |
| Total recorded mentions | 75 |
My Observations
Starts with John Ch 8:12 and ends with Revelation Ch 22:13
The first light has three mentions, the seventh has 33 mentions, and the last has six mentions.
There are fourteen entries. The seventh entry happens to have a parallel number to Jesus’ age of death, while light has three entries, a parallel number to Jesus’ resurrection. The fourteenth entry has six entries. The number is man, which is fitting, considering Jesus is the original man.
A Reading Checkpoint
Biblical text
The linked passages and their wording in context.
Recorded dataset
The counts were preserved from my original tables and graphs, which are available in the provided PDF.
Personal interpretation
The patterns and symbolic number connections I observed after arranging the data.
✨Deep Treasure
The repetition of “I am the LORD” does more than fill a table. Across law, history, poetry and prophecy, the words repeatedly return attention to the One who speaks—God who reveals His identity, remembers His covenant and calls His people to know Him.
The numbers invited me to notice patterns, but the deepest treasure is the divine identity behind them. A count may show where a phrase gathers; Scripture reveals why the words matter.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the main finding of this “I AM” Bible study?
In Anna Towan’s recorded dataset, “I am the LORD” appears 158 times across fifteen books, with the largest concentrations in Ezekiel and Leviticus. A second dataset contains 75 entries across fourteen divine self-description categories.
Why might another Bible search produce different totals?
Counts can differ according to translation, capitalisation, punctuation, phrase boundaries, singular or expanded wording, and the search tool used. These tables preserve the results of Anna’s original analysis.
Which book has the most recorded “I am the LORD” entries?
Ezekiel has the highest count in this dataset with 66 entries. Leviticus follows with 43.
Are the numbers 3, 33 and 6 presented as a biblical code?
No. They are part of Anna’s personal symbolic reflection after arranging the categories. The post distinguishes those observations from explicit biblical statements.
Download the Study
Open the supplementary PDF to keep a separate copy of the original research material and graphs.
No comments:
Post a Comment