Wednesday, November 08, 2017

DAILY DEATH of FLESH, DAILY BIRTH of SPIRIT

Article Summary

This devotional reflects on what it means to deny myself, take up my cross daily and allow the Holy Spirit—not my flesh—to direct my choices. It connects daily surrender with generosity, representing Jesus faithfully, loving difficult people, praying through sickness and receiving help from other believers.

Learning to Die Daily

Many times I have listened to and obeyed my flesh, but the Holy Spirit convicts me not to let my flesh rule. Instead, I must allow the Holy Spirit to rule over my flesh. Because He respects my free will, He gives me the choice to die to myself daily.

I have been reminded gently to die to myself daily and to pick up my cross. To me, this means denying myself, my selfish desires and the learned behaviours of this world—not only occasionally, but every day.

The Holy Spirit then brought these words to me:

“If anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me.”

I had to switch on my computer and type in the words to discover which book of the Bible they came from. I found them in Luke 9:23. The discovery emphasised that this is a daily instruction: deny myself, take up my cross and follow Jesus.

Representing Jesus Is Serious Business

The Holy Spirit also reminded me that when someone asks something of me, I should be willing to give—not for my own reputation, but for the sake of Jesus. Being His ambassador on earth is serious business. Misrepresenting Him can have serious consequences because our choices create a spiritual ripple effect in the lives of others.

Pastor Stewart from Freshwater Christian Church said in one of his sermons, “I may be the only ‘Bible’ they read.” His words remind me that someone may form an impression of Jesus through the way I treat them.

Once again, I heard Scripture whispered into my ears:

“And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.”

The following verse continues by teaching us to give to the person who asks and not to turn away automatically from someone who wants to borrow. Once again, I searched online to identify the passage and found it in Matthew 5:41–42.

Reflection: Going Beyond the First Mile

The world often teaches us not to give to people whom we believe have tricked, abused or misused us. Jesus’ teaching confronts my instinct to protect my own interests at all costs. He calls me to generosity, non-retaliation and a willingness to go beyond what is demanded.

The wider passage in Matthew 5:39–48 moves from turning the other cheek and going the second mile to loving our enemies and praying for those who persecute us. It asks for a spiritual response that looks different from the natural patterns of the world.

An important clarification

Jesus’ teaching about generosity, forgiveness and non-retaliation does not mean that a person must remain in physical danger, conceal abuse or give someone what would enable further harm. Seeking help, reporting danger and setting wise boundaries can exist alongside forgiveness, prayer and a heart that refuses revenge.

God clearly states in His Word the spiritual behaviour I need to show the world. Unfortunately, we often hear about people who claim to be Christ’s ambassadors but hurt others because they have not learned to die to their flesh daily.

My generation has a lot of “spilt milk” to clean up. We need to show the world the truth of who Jesus is and what His disciples and followers should be like. Sometimes it is not easy, but that is why He says to die to self daily—not every few days, weeks or months. It is a daily practice, just as brushing our teeth is a daily practice.

The instruction is simple, even when living it takes time, effort and repeated surrender.

✨ Deep Treasure

Dying to self is not a one-time achievement. It is the daily surrender of the right to let selfish desire rule me. Each time I choose the leading of the Holy Spirit, I have another opportunity to represent Jesus more truthfully and allow His character to shape my response.

A Prayer of Daily Surrender

Prayer

LORD, I allow the Holy Spirit to rule over my spirit and soul, that I may do what You want, not what I want, and that my path before You aligns with Your will. AMEN.

Christian encouragement image about being made by God

When Sickness Makes Prayer Difficult

After many years of good health, being sick makes this daily practice more challenging. Sometimes my mouth wants to remain shut while my body wants to sleep. Yet God can still hear my heart’s prayer, so I can pray inwardly when speaking feels difficult.

This is also when I need to draw on the spiritual support of my brothers and sisters in Christ. I can ask them to stand with me and pray for healing and protection. Daily surrender does not mean carrying every burden alone; sometimes it means humbly allowing the body of Christ to help.

Questions for Personal Reflection

  • What selfish desire or learned behaviour is the Holy Spirit asking me to surrender today?
  • How can my response to another person represent Jesus more faithfully?
  • Where can I practise generosity while also maintaining wise and truthful boundaries?
  • Whom can I ask to pray with me when sickness or weakness makes prayer difficult?

Scripture for Further Reflection

  • Luke 9:23 — denying self, taking up the cross daily and following Jesus.
  • Matthew 5:39–48 — non-retaliation, generosity, loving enemies and praying for persecutors.
  • Galatians 5:16–25 — walking in the Spirit rather than fulfilling the desires of the flesh.
  • Romans 12:1–2 — offering ourselves to God and being transformed by the renewing of the mind.

Topics Covered: dying to self, daily surrender, Luke 9:23, taking up the cross, walking in the Holy Spirit, Christian generosity, going the second mile, loving enemies, spiritual discernment, prayer during sickness and the body of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors