This Christian testimony recounts how I began to overcome an almost five-year fear of driving. Through 2 Timothy 1:7, teaching at church, prayer, the encouragement of my husband and daughter, and small steps of faith, I learned that fear could be present without being allowed to govern my life.
There are times when all of us may experience fear or anxiety. Being born again does not mean that a frightening feeling can never arise; it means that fear does not have to become our master. When Jesus is in our hearts, we can keep turning towards the power, love and sound mind God has given us.
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”
When my carnal, fearful thoughts told me that I could not drive, I learned to answer them with prayer and truth. I pictured myself putting on the armour of God, lifting the shield of faith and taking one safe step in the opposite direction from avoidance.
Almost Five Years Bound by Fear of Driving
I used to live in bondage to a fear of driving. Even driving my daughter to school seemed impossible—something I could only imagine doing in a dream.
I read 2 Timothy 1:7 many times and wondered whether I would ever be free. At times I judged myself harshly and thought my faith was faithless. Looking back, however, the length of the struggle did not mean that God had abandoned me. It became a long journey in which faith, patience and action slowly came together.
A Message of Jubilee and Freedom
One day my pastor, Ted Evans, preached about Jubilee—about freedom and the restoration of blessings. As I listened, I yearned deeply to be released from this distressing bondage. I left the service in serious thought and decided that I wanted to face the phobia.
There was also a seniors’ meeting at my church. Although I was not elderly, I decided to attend. The songs were old, classic and beautiful. The preacher that day, John Bennett, spoke about who we are in Christ and gave each person a sheet listing positive truths about our identity in Him.
Among the many verses on that sheet, 2 Timothy 1:7 stood out to me again. I believed the Holy Spirit was drawing my attention to the same promise. I wanted more than partial freedom; I wanted complete freedom.
My First Attempt
At first, even sitting in the driver’s seat was frightening. I froze and then allowed my husband to drive. I felt disappointed in myself, reread 2 Timothy 1:7 and confronted my doubts.
That first attempt did not look successful, but it was still part of the journey. I began to understand that overcoming fear would involve my whole inner life: bringing my thoughts and emotions before God, listening for the Holy Spirit and choosing not to let fear make every decision.
From then on, I tried to begin the day with prayer and lean on Jesus. Some mornings I could wake earlier than usual; on cold winter mornings when I could not, I still chose to put God first. I told Him how much I loved Him and rejected the terrifying thought that I would die if I drove.
Lifting the Shield of Faith
I examined my spiritual armour and realised that, whenever driving was involved, it felt as though I had lowered my shield of faith and allowed arrows of doubt and anxiety to overwhelm me. Ephesians tells believers to take up “the shield of faith” (Ephesians 6:16 NKJV).
Then another verse came to mind: “Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead” (James 2:17 NKJV). This did not mean earning God’s love or forcing myself into danger. For me, it meant allowing faith to produce a careful, practical next step.
The Day I Drove
I prayed for confidence and repeated 2 Timothy 1:7. I walked around the car and prayed over it. On a different day, I got into the driver’s seat, prayed again and drove—with my husband beside me and my daughter encouraging me that I could do it.
I broke through a barrier, and it felt good. My mind felt sound, the fear loosened its hold and something that had seemed impossible became possible.
The courage, power, love and sound mind promised in Scripture were not rewards that I had to manufacture. I began to recognise them as gifts God had already made available. I needed to welcome the Holy Spirit’s leading and refuse to let fear clog my willingness to be useful to Him.
Courage did not begin when every fearful feeling disappeared. It began when I prayed, accepted support and took a safe step while trusting Christ. The first attempt that ended in freezing was not the end of the testimony; it was one step on the way to freedom.
Small Steps Became a New Way of Living
When I first wrote this testimony, I was driving my daughter to school without my husband in the passenger seat. My next goal was to drive with my daughter to church—alone, yet not truly alone, because I trusted that the Holy Spirit was with me.
This fear took me almost five years to overcome. I learned that if I fell, I could stand again. I could keep trying and moving forward, even if I had paused for years.
I believe that relying on Jesus made me strong in my weakness. Prayer, honest confession to Christian friends, their support and my willingness to admit the phobia all became part of the journey. My story echoes Paul’s words about Christ’s strength being made perfect in weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9 NKJV).
Fear and anxiety are not proof that a Christian lacks faith. Prayer, Scripture and church support can sit alongside practical help from a GP, psychologist or qualified driving instructor. Healthdirect Australia identifies driving as one situation that can become a specific phobia and explains that gradual exposure and psychological therapies can help. Any driving practice should be lawful, supervised when needed and safe for you and others.
What Helped Me Move Forward
- Returning to Scripture: I kept coming back to 2 Timothy 1:7 when fearful thoughts felt louder than truth.
- Praying honestly: I told God that I wanted freedom and asked Him for courage.
- Receiving encouragement: Church teaching, Christian friends, my husband and my daughter all supported me.
- Starting small: Sitting in the driver’s seat, praying around the car and driving with support were meaningful steps.
- Trying again: A frozen first attempt did not cancel the possibility of a later breakthrough.
- Giving the journey time: Freedom was gradual, but gradual progress was still progress.
Strength Through Christ
I believe the promise, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13 NKJV). In its chapter, Paul speaks about learning contentment in changing circumstances. For me, the verse became a reminder that I did not have to face my weakness in my own strength.
Fear may speak, but it does not have to make the final decision.
I learned to wake with an expectant heart. When my fearful nature rose and said, “No,” I returned to the promise of 2 Timothy 1:7 and chose the next wise act of faith: Yes, I will keep learning. Yes, I will go when it is safe. Yes, I will seek to please my Saviour rather than be ruled by fear.
Prayer
Thank You, Jesus, for Your patience with me. Thank You for meeting me through Scripture, prayer, church teaching and the encouragement of my family and friends. Please continue to use me, mould me and make me the vessel and warrior You want me to be.
For every person living under fear, bring wise support, safe opportunities to grow and the assurance that one difficult attempt does not define the whole journey. Teach us to walk in Your power, love and sound mind. Let Your will be done in our lives. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does 2 Timothy 1:7 mean Christians never feel fear or anxiety?
No. The verse points believers towards the power, love and sound mind God gives; it does not make every feeling of fear evidence of spiritual failure. Courage can mean turning to God and taking a wise next step even while the feeling is still present.
How did faith become practical in this testimony?
Faith became practical through prayer, returning to Scripture, accepting encouragement, sitting in the driver’s seat, practising with support and trying again after an unsuccessful first attempt.
Can a Christian seek professional help for a phobia?
Yes. Seeking help from a GP, psychologist or qualified instructor does not compete with faith. It can be one of the practical ways a person receives support and learns to face fear safely and gradually.
What if freedom takes longer than expected?
Do not despise small progress or condemn yourself for needing time. This testimony unfolded over almost five years. A pause, difficult day or failed attempt does not prevent you from beginning again.
Sources and Scripture
- 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV): power, love and a sound mind
- Ephesians 6:10–18 (NKJV): the whole armour of God
- James 2:17 (NKJV): faith expressed in action
- Philippians 4:10–13 (NKJV): strength and contentment through Christ
- Healthdirect Australia: phobias, treatment and support
- Wikimedia Commons: Rembrandt’s Saint Paul at His Writing-Desk
Topics Covered: 2 Timothy 1:7, fear of driving, Christian testimony, faith in action, power love and a sound mind, spiritual armour, shield of faith, prayer, phobias, courage, gradual progress, strength through Christ
No comments:
Post a Comment