Wednesday 12 August 2015

Faith alone isn't enough, doing things with no faith is sin.

Source: Ps Ted Evans / Face Book Post
Do Not Cause Your Brother to Stumble
22The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.
Cross References

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes …

Romans 14:5
One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.
Titus 1:15
To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.

Personal reflection

I found the above picture from Facebook post by my current church - Influencers North, Ps Ted. 

This verse also relates to Hebrews 11:6 and has meaning to me because sometimes I don't have faith to do things like for instance; driving and how I need to realise that when those who [with good intentions] encourage me to drive they should also realise the seriousness of forcing me to 'sin' because I have no faith in this area... not because of fear but because of cultural differences.

I grew up with an environment where driving was only done by the rich and cars were not a necessity. We walked everywhere that was close, occasionally taxi's were hired or buses were caught. 

The roads are two lanes, however; here in Australia there can be as many as six lanes and the road rules and safety regulations are more intense and serious here so ... driving is still not a necessity because I have a husband who loves driving and catching the bus is more easier for me.

Anyways, this verse teaches me that when someone doesn't have the faith to do something, I should never force them by quoting scriptures about how 'fear' is not of God but to have an understanding about the different cultural backgrounds. 

To reflect upon James 2: 17, if I have faith but do not act then there's no fruit bearing which means it is also pointless to have! 

So if I have faith...I should act. I appreciate and know that there are those who pray that my faith increases in this area but till the day comes...I will not drive until I have faith to do it and when I have faith to do it, I will drive.


Sometimes we also need to consider that some general things in this world like driving may not be for others. 

God has a different call/colour on each person some are general some not so. So lets not force our brethren to do things they were not meant to do while on this earth. If I can survive without driving then obviously it isn't important but a convenience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment