Wednesday 12 August 2015

Fixing my Gaze

 "Let your eyes look straight ahead;   fix your gaze directly before you. Give careful thought to the paths for your feet   and be steadfast in all your ways" -  Proverbs 4: 25-26


This verse just popped into my head and heart tonight as I thought of the little things that were discouraging me lately.

 I think there's a verse in the bible that says that the 'eyes gives light to the body' (Matthew 6: 22 "The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light.) and I am beginning to realise how important our eyes are...not just how useful it is physically but also emotionally. 




What we see contribute alot to how we feel after viewing certain things and people. The above verse came into my mind as I got a bit discouraged from alot of things my eyes had seen that would have been better had my eyes just not strayed there and alot of it of course has to do with people. 

Most issues revolve around people have you noticed? lol. 


The above verse is a lesson I want to learn and put into practise because if you think about it, if we fixed our gaze directly before us (on God, our dreams, tasks, etc) instead of people and situations, we wouldn't really have to think about people and situations too much especially when it can get discouraging and daunting.

 Sometimes I get discouraged on the ship when my gaze strays to people and situations. If I pass a girl in the corridor and she rolls her eyes, it makes me wonder what's wrong with me instead of praying for her that God would work with whatever issues she has...obviously she has one, lol. 

It also makes me evaluate my actions towards people and how I treat them.

 The hardest thing to do is to treat someone who doesn't treat you nice or well. Even though we are on a Christian ship, we are all sinners and therefore, will behave sinfully many times but we are sinners saved by grace so I am trusting that God's grace in me will work through my sinful attitude, behaviour and actions and love those who may hurt me with their sin. 


Being transparent and honest with God and with myself helps me shed the weight and though it is painful, it is freeing. Having this freedom allows us to be who we were meant to be, to love how we're meant to love & to serve how we're meant to serve - with open hearts, open hands and open lives.



1 comment:

  1. transparency n honesty is much needed by the church and the world. God only knows which one does it better. do psychologists or confessions to priests prevent or encourage suicide? some psychologists fall in love with their patients. praise God for never running out of patience with His often crazy acting creation :)

    ReplyDelete